WBA - Travel Basketball Rules
1. Eligibility: Participation in the WBA Travel Basketball (WBA-Travel) program is open to all students, boys and girls, who either attend Weston Schools (Grades 4-8) or are residents of the town of Weston. Students may tryout only for their grade appropriate team. There are also age restrictions (a limit of 3 players born prior to September 1 of the appropriate year for the grade).
2. Number of Teams: WBA-Travel will sponsor at least one team (sometimes 2) for each grade, 4-8, for girls and boys.
3. Number of Players per Team: Travel teams will consist of at least 10 players with 12 players the standard. More than 12 players on a team is not advisable because of the difficulties of allocating playing time in games. Ultimately, however, the number of players selected for each team is subject to the approval of the WBA-Board.
4. Player Selection Process: Travel basketball is a competitive program. Competition begins with player evaluations as only a fixed number of players will be selected for each team. Prior year’s participation does not guarantee selection in the current year. Selection is always a difficult process and all players who are unable to play on a travel team are strongly encouraged to participate in the town's recreation and after school programs and other basketball programs in the area. Selection for a team is based on the rankings and skill assessments of non-parental, basketball knowledgeable neutral evaluators. No parent of a participating child is allowed to be part of the selection process. If the team’s coach is also a participant’s parent, he/she will have no input into the selection of the team. If the team’s coach does not have a participating child, and is otherwise neutral, he/she may choose to select the team alone or with the assistance of other neutral evaluators. Players will be evaluated through a series of drills and scrimmages on their individual physical athletic abilities, basketball skills, scrimmage play, aggressiveness, potential and sportsmanship in addition to their general behavior and conduct during the selection process. Team skills and quality of overall contribution to team play will also be considered. Selection is based solely on a player’s performance during the selection sessions (typically two practice sessions). In the event that an exceptionally large number of players participate at the tryout, the coach has the option of making a first cut after the initial practice. The players selected for each team will generally be posted on the WBA website (www.westonbasketball.com).
5. Team Coach Selection: The coach of each team is selected by the President of the WBA subject to the approval of the Board and in accordance with the WBA Bylaws. At the end of each season, players and parents have an opportunity to provide feedback about the team and the coach. That feedback receives significant consideration in making decisions for the next year. Team Managers and Assistant Coaches are permanently selected by the Coach after the team has been selected. No Coach, Manager, or Assistant Coach is ever assured that their child will be selected for the team.
6. Commitment: All players and their parents are asked to make an extraordinary commitment to the travel teams, including attendance at all practices and games. Practices are at least twice a week on weeknights and there may be anywhere from 16 to 35+ games in the course of a season. If a player is unable to make the required commitment, he/she should not participate in tryouts potentially depriving another player who is willing to make the commitment to the team.
7. Inability to Attend On Selection Dates: Each player must be present on all selection dates. If a player is unable to attend the dates set for the selection process for a team due to injury, illness or other similar extraordinary circumstances, the player should notify the coach or the President of the WBA as soon as possible. The Coach, in his/her sole discretion, and subject to the approval of the President, may permit such player to participate in a supplemental selection session.